Back in 2004 when Facebook came into our lives, some of us just hopped into the new technology. We are like those early adopters of everything new in the market. When we all decided to make our accounts on this social media network, experiments began. Even if you don’t use those profiles anymore, they are still very much active. In our wackiest moments, many of us ended up with weird names on the Facebook account.
Maybe you used your full name, but you’re known by a shorter version. Or you’ve been married, divorced, and remarried since. Whatever be the reason, the good news is that changing your name on Facebook is a fairly simple process
If you want to change your name on Facebook, here’s what you’ll need to do.
Facebook Rules for Name Changing
Before you start thinking about changing your name on Facebook, you need to make sure that the name you want to use is going to be allowed.
Facebook has a number of rules that your profile name needs to follow. These include:
- The name you use (or a version of it) must appear on a government-issued ID such as a driver’s license or passport.
- Can’t pretend to be someone else.
- Use a nickname as a first or middle name as long as it’s a variation of your given name.
- You can add a nickname or a maiden name as a second name, but you must still use your real name as your primary name.
- Your name can’t include numbers, symbols, or punctuation.
- Can’t use non-standard capitalization.
- You can only use characters from a single language.
- Can’t include titles such as Reverend or Doctor.
- You can’t use offensive or suggestive words.
As long as your name follows these rules, you shouldn’t have any issue changing it. If you do, you can contact Facebook to explain the problem, but don’t expect this to be an easy fix.
Be certain that you’re happy with the name you’re choosing to use, too. You won’t be able to change it again for at least 60 days.
How to Change Your Name on Facebook
Facebook has recently introduced a new design. Depending on whether you’re on the new version or the classic version, or you’re changing your name on your phone, the steps for changing your name are slightly different.
Using the New Facebook Layout
- If you’re using the new Facebook layout, this is what you’ll need to do to change your name.
- Start by clicking the down arrow in the top-right corner of the Facebook website.
- Click on Settings & Privacy > Settings.
- Your name will be displayed in the Edit section in the General Account Settings area.
- Enter details you want to edit here. Your name and then click Review Change to proceed.
- Confirm your name by filling in the password again. Click save changes to save and check for your new name. Your new name should be seen on your profile and everyone should be able to see this.
Also Read: Best Video Downloader For Chrome Extension
Using the Facebook Layout in Browser
- If you want to use the classic Facebook layout, the steps are a bit different in this case. Follow the steps to change your name on Facebook.
- First, click on the side down arrow in the top right corner of Facebook.
- Now click the setting option.
- From this onwards, the steps are the same as in the Facebook design.
- Click on Edit next to your present name to change it.
- Enter new name details and preview changes before publishing.
- If you are satisfied with the name, provide the password again and then click on the Save Changes. It will apply your new name to the profile.
Facebook mobile app:
To change your name on the phone be it Android, iPhone, or iPad, you have to go through the Facebook app. Follow the steps below to change your name on Facebook.
- Tap on the Menu option on the top right corner of the Facebook app.
- Scroll down the menu and look for the Settings option. Click on the settings.
- Tap Personal information > Name.
- Enter your new name details, then tap Review Change to move to the final stage.
- If you’re happy with your changes, you’ll need to fill in your password again to confirm your identity. Tap Save Changes to confirm your choice and apply your new name.
- If your password was correct and the name was accepted, your new name should appear across your Facebook account.
Now Facebook is not just a social media platform to meet new people. It has added various new features over the years to attract more users. Now people use Facebook for business, gaming, branding, and many other activities. Therefore, it makes it immensely important to present yourself with the right name. I hope this article helped you to get your answer to how to change your name on Facebook.
Frequently Asked Questions FAQs
- How can I change my FB profile name?
Ans: Follow the steps to change the Facebook profile name.
- Review our Profile Name Standards.
- Click in the top-right corner of Facebook and select Settings.
- Click Name.
- Enter your name and click Review change.
- Enter your password and click Save Changes.
2. Can I change the name of my Facebook page 2020?
Ans: Check out the Page Roles section of the settings section. While you’re looking at your page, you’ll need to click About and then Edit next to your Page’s name. You’ll enter a new name and click Continue.
3. How do I change my name on Facebook after already confirmed?
Ans: Follow the steps below:
- Press the inverted triangle icon (▼) in the top right corner of Facebook. …
- Select Edit in the Name row.
- Change your first name, middle name, and/or surname, and select Review Change.
- Choose how your name will appear, enter your password, and press Save Changes.
4. How do I change my URL name on Facebook?
Ans: Now that you know the limitations of the system, here’s how you can change the URL of your Facebook Profile.
- Go to the Settings menu on Facebook.
- On the General Account Settings page, click on the “Edit” button found next to the “Username” option.
- Input your preferred username into the provided field.
5. How do I edit my Facebook business page?
Ans: To edit the information on your Facebook page:
- Go to Business Settings.
- Click Business Info.
- Below My Info, click edit.
- Make your changes.
- Click Save.
6. How often can you change your name on Facebook?
Ans: You can change your Facebook name every 60 days. However, it is not advisable to change it so frequently. It can create a false narrative of your account. Facebook keeps updating its policy from time to time. So to make sure we don’t get blocked or anything, avoid changing your name so often.
7. How do I take ownership of my Facebook business page?
Ans: To assign or change a Page Owner:
- From your News Feed, click Pages in the left menu.
- Go to your Page.
- Click Settings.
- Click Page Transparency.
- Below Assign Page Owner, click Assign.
- Choose a verified Business Manager or disclaimer and click Assign.
8. Can I separate my business page from my personal account on Facebook?
Ans: No, Facebook does not allow you to create a business page without it being linked to a personal profile. The good news is, even though your personal profile and business page look like they are inextricably connected, no one but you can see that connection. Facebook treats them like two separate entities.
9. Can I delete my Facebook profile but keep my business page?
Ans: It’s not. A business page requires a personal page to be its owner. No, it isn’t possible. You could delete FB app and access the page through the Pages Manager app which means you wouldn’t have to access your business page through your personal profile.
10. What is the difference between a Facebook business page and a business account?
Ans: When you set up a profile for your business, you are creating a separate account for your business as if it were a person. An easy way to remember the difference between a Facebook profile and a Facebook page is that Facebook profiles are for people, while Facebook pages are for businesses.